Learn to cook; Relish your life!
Source: Fat-free Holiday Recipes
Serving size: 12
- 9 slices stale whole-wheat bread
- 3 large tart apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup dark or golden raisins
- 1 cup finely chopped celery (include leaves)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten (optional)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or Butter Buds liquid
Tear 6 of the 9 slices of bread into small pieces. Place the pieces in a food processor or blender, and process into coarse crumbs. Measure the crumbs. There should be 3 cups. (Use more bread if necessary.)
Cut the remaining 3 slices of bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Measure the cubes. There should be 3 cups. (Adjust the amount if necessary.)
Place the breadcrumbs and cubes in a large bowl and add all of the remaining ingredients, except for the chicken broth. Toss to mix well. Slowly add the broth as you continue tossing, adding a little more than the specified amount if the mixture seems too dry.
Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Loosely spoon the stuffing into the dish. Bake covered at 325° F. for about an hour or until heated through and the apples and vegetable are tender. Serve hot.
Nutritional information per 1/2 cup serving: 119 calories, .7g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 3.2g protein, 2.9g fiber