Beef Stroganoff -- lightened version
Serving Size: 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds round steak -- thinly sliced
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic -- minced
- 1 pound mushrooms -- sliced
- 2 stalks celery stalk -- finely chopped
- 2 carrots -- shredded
- Salt and pepper -- to taste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 32 ounces low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt -- Greek-style
Brown meat in a large electric skillet or on the stove with the oil over med-high heat
When the meat is nicely browned, add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and mushrooms. Sauté until the mushrooms release their moisture and the onions are soft, 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the flour, cook for a minute and then add beef broth and bring to a boil. Simmer 1 1/2-2 hours, uncovered, adding more broth or water to keep the meat covered at all times.
Right before serving, adjust seasonings and fold in yogurt.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 332 Calories; 16g Fat (44.4% calories from fat); 33g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 133mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat.