Spicy Barbecue Meatballs
Learn to cook; Relish your life!
Source: Fat-Free Holiday Recipes, Sandra Woodruff, R.D., 1995
Serving size: 1 meatball w/sauce
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey or 95% lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (8 oz.) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1-1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
Combine the meatball ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and mix thoroughly. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Shape the meatball mixture into 60 (1-inch) balls, and place the meatballs on the baking sheet.
Bake the meatballs at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked. Transfer the meatballs to a chafing dish or heated casserole to keep warm.
Combine the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan, and simmer over medium-low heat just until hot. Pour the sauce over the meatballs, toss gently to mix, and serve. Makes 60 appetizers.
Nutrient analysis per meatball with sauce: 24 calories, 0g fat, 7 mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium